Home > Child Protection Training > Diploma > Overview and Prerequisites

Diploma Overview and Prerequisites

The Diploma in Child Protection Studies is a Level 5 specialised programme offered solely by Child Matters and is the only undergraduate child advocacy qualification in New Zealand.  Graduates of the Diploma in Child Protection Studies often go on to become resource people in child protection in their communities.

Objectives

• To contribute to the prevention of child abuse and neglect by promoting the rights of children through child advocacy.
  • To encourage workers from a wide range of disciplines to work more effectively together.
  • To promote more sensitive and effective responses to suspicions of child abuse and neglect.
  • To help workers support children and their families during any investigations and contribute effectively to the investigations.
  • To improve the care and support provided to abuse children and their families.
  • To encourage learners, most of whom are already in the workforce, to enter further education moving onto Advanced Certificates and Diplomas on the National Qualifications Framework, available through the public education sector.

What value does the Diploma provide?

Children rely on adults to make sound appropriate decisions about their safety and well-being. The Diploma in Child Protection Studies provides students with the skills and confidence to be strong advocates for children.

The Diploma 'joins the dots' for students, providing a high level of practical information and skills at the same time as consolidating new and prior learning and questioning personal and societal beliefs.

Graduates often become the leaders and resource people on child protection in their communities, raising the skill and consciousness of the entire community in child protection and advocacy. Child advocates at this level can truly make a difference to the children in their local communities and in New Zealand as a whole.

Content

Child Protection from the Perspective of the Child

Includes: Three day marae stay, protecting children from a cultural perspective; Child development; Protecting children with intellectual disabilities; Recognising self and the importance of supervision; Dynamics of child abuse and family violence; The child's perspetive; Issues for children; Paramount interest of the child.

Understanding and Supporting Families

Includes: Counselling needs of families, Working with families of abused children; Supporting abused children and their families; Therapy for children; Asessing risk; Protection programmes for children; Sexual offenders; Types of families; Planning interventions.

Child Protection and the Community

Includes: Child-focused services; Setting policies on child protection; Legal issues; Evidential interviewing; Going to court; Report writing; Organisational structure and management; Becoming a child advocate.

Guest Speakers

Lawyer for Children, Psychologist, Police CAT Team, DSAC Doctor, Child Development Specialist, Court & Justice Services, Special Needs for Children, Drug & Foetal Alcohol Organisations, Ethnic & Cultural Advocate, Child Advocates, Community Representatives, Risk Assessment Specialist.

Full content of the Child Protection Studies Diploma

Who should Enrol?

• The Diploma can benefit anyone who works with and or cares about children including:
  • Those who believe they have the potential to become a child advocate.
  • Those who have been working with children for some time and would like to enhance and consolidate their knowledge and extend their local networks.
  • Managers and leaders responsible for child policy development and the safety and wellbeing of their workers.

The Diploma provides a safe and supportive environment for students of all cultures. Students from throughout New Zealand have attended this diploma, achieving excellent completion rates, and giving overwhelmingly positive feedback on the value that the Diploma provided them with.

NZQA Unit Standard

Students who successfully meet all the requirements of the Diploma in Child Protection Studies will automatically receive credit for the following Unit Standard

17456 Demonstrate knowledge of the requirements for child protection procedures in the workplace. 2 credits.

There is also an optional unit standard that people may complete following the course. This is unit standard 17457 which has 4 credits.

Note:  The Diploma in Child Protection Studies is a Level 5 specialised programme offered solely by Child Matters. It is NZQA accredited as a "Local" course which means that it will not be offered by any other provider.

Rather than being planned around unit standards, the Diploma is designed to provide an holistic understanding of child protection and child advocacy, but does include one unit standard as part of the course work. 

Length

The Diploma is run in six blocks of 5 days in-classroom tuition over one year.

• Section One (Blocks 1 and 2) - Child protection from the perspective of the child
  • Section Two (Blocks 3 and 4) – Understanding and supporting families
  • Section Three (Blocks 5 and 6) – Child protection and the community

In-classroom tuition is from 9.00am - 4.30pm daily.
There are 8 practical assignments to complete.

Pre-requisites

• Successful completion of the Child Protection Studies Programme or its equivalent (Prior learning is recognised).
  • A basic understanding of Treaty of Waitangi issues. We recommend you attend a one day Treaty workshop if you have not already done so.

[ Diploma Dates ]
[ Diploma Fees ]
[ Enrol ]
[ Student Information ]