Home > Child Protection Training > General Student Information

General Student Information

The following information is general student information that applies across all of our training programmes.  You can also find student information which is course specific.

Find course specific Student Information for: Diploma, Programme, Workshops

General Student Information

Accommodation

Students are responsible for providing for their own accommodation needs at their own expense while attending training programmes.

Assessments

Students will be expected to successfully meet a number of assessment requirements in order to be awarded any qualification.

Specific assessment requirements for each course are outlined in the student information for the course.

Cell Phones

Out of consideration for others, students should make arrangements to ensure that they will not be required to answer cell phones during course delivery times.

Children

It is not recommended that participants bring their children to programmes. Because of the nature of the material being discussed, it is not appropriate or safe for children to attend.

Consideration for Others

Students are asked to consider the needs of others at all times and to act in such a way that will develop positive relationships with staff and students.

Dress

Students are asked to ensure that their dress and appearance is comfortable and appropriate for classroom study.

Eligibility to attend training

Child Matters training is not intended as being therapeutic and may adversely impact on anyone who has not overcome the effects of experiencing childhood abuse or trauma.  It is therefore necessary for consideration to be given to the suitability of each participant to ensure their safety and wellbeing is maintained. 

Child Matters reserves the right at any stage (prior to or after training commencement) to refuse entry to or attendance at any training.

Entry Requirements

Proof of eligibility to be a student in New Zealand. Any student who has New Zealand citizenship or residency is eligible to enrol in Child Matters’ training. Proof of citizenship or New Zealand Residency may be required and enrolment may not be able to proceed without verified proof being provided.

Infectious Diseases

All staff and students have the right to participate without discrimination in any training programme. Students are expected to take responsibility for ensuring that no other person is put at risk of infections by the student’s behaviour.

Language Competency

Students are expected to have an adequate level of competence in written and spoken English to allow them to participate in the training both verbally and in writing. Help is available to students with completing the Child Matters assessments if required. Students should notify Child Matters in advance that they require help or should explain their needs to their tutor.

Students undertaking assessment against NZQA Unit Standards will be expected to complete a written assessment and must have literacy competence to fulfil this requirement.

New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) Unit Standards

The Child Protection Studies Programme and New Zealand Diploma in Child Protection are fully accredited and approved by NZQA.

Please refer to student information for Child Protection Studies Programme to information about the specific Unit Standards included in this course. 

Parking

Students are responsible for providing their own parking while attending training. Child Matters takes no responsibility for vehicles while students are attending training.

Personal and Professional Safety

Suitability to attend training may have been appropriate at the time of enrolment. However, Child Matters does recognise that circumstances can change. (eg. Students may experience financial or personal problems, or require advice or personal development.)

If personal concerns arise students may discuss these issues with any member of Child Matters or their tutor. Child Matters tutors are qualified to refer students to the most appropriate help.

It is Child Matters’ responsibility to report any allegations of child abuse or serious concerns regarding children at risk.

Personal Property

Care should be taken of all property. Students will be responsible for any damage or loss they cause to Child Matters property or buildings used during the duration of the programme. Child Matters takes no responsibility for loss or damage to students’ property caused by other students or persons other than Child Matters staff or tutors.

Pre-requisites

Please refer to student information for the specific training programme to confirm prerequisites.

Privacy

Child Matters collects and stores information from your enrolment form and completed course work to:

• Manage the business of Child Matters (including internal reporting, administrative processes and selection of scholarship and prize winners).
  • Comply with the requirements of the Education Act 1989 and other legislation relating to maintenance of records.
  • Supply information to government agencies and other organisations as set out in the Supply of Information to Government Agencies and Other Organisations section below.

In accepting the Terms and Conditions on your enrolment form you authorise such disclosure on the understanding that Child Matters will observe the conditions governing the release of information, as set out in the Privacy Act 1993, the Education Act 1989 and other relevant legislation. You may see any information held about you and amend any errors in that information. To do so, contact info "at" childmatters.org.nz

NB: The Privacy Act came into force on 1 July 1993 with the stated aim of protecting the privacy of natural persons. It requires Child Matters to collect, hold, handle, use and disclose personal information in accordance with the twelve information privacy principles in the Act which can be viewed on the Privacy Commissioner’s web site: http://www.privacy.org.nz/privacy-act.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

Please refer to student information for the specific training programme to confirm if prior learning is recognised.

Supply of Information to Government Agencies and Other Organisations

Child Matters supplies data collected on the enrolment form to government agencies, which may include:

• The Ministry of Education
  • The New Zealand Qualifications Authority
  • The Tertiary Education Commission
  • The Ministry of Social Development (for auditing purposes) 
  • Inland Revenue (in relation to student loans)
  • Agencies that support particular students through scholarships, payment of fees or other awards (if you are a recipient of one of these awards)

Those agencies use the data collected from tertiary education organisations to:

• Administer the tertiary education system, including allocating funding.
  • Develop policy advice for government.
  • Conduct statistical analysis and research.

Your personal details (name, date of birth and residency) as entered on your enrolment form will be included in the National Student Index and may be used in an authorised information matching programme with the New Zealand Birth Register.

The government agencies above may supply data collected on this form to Statistics New Zealand for the purposes of integrating data with data collected by other government agencies, subject to the provisions of the Statistics Act 1975. Integrated data is used for the production of official statistics, to inform policy advice to government and for research purposes.

In handling data supplied by you on the enrolment form, the government agencies are required to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1993.

When required by law, Child Matters releases information to government agencies such as the New Zealand Police, Department of Justice, Ministry of Social Development, and the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).

Information collected on the enrolment form may be supplied to other educational organisations for the purpose of verifying academic records.

Te Tiriti o Waitangi

All students attending Child Matters training courses are expected to have a basic understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi. We encourage you attend training on the Treaty prior to attending the Child Matters Child Protection Studies Programme or NZ Diploma in Child Protection, if you have not already done so.

Student Regulations

Accidents

Staff and students are covered under the provisions of the Accident Compensation(ACC) Act. All accidents occurring during classroom time should be recorded in the Accident Register, and reported to the tutor immediately.

Confidentiality

All students should treat anything they see or hear about other students’ personal affairs as confidential. Students should not repeat or speak about anything that is discussed during the programme which is of a private nature or could result in a person’s private affairs being recognised. Each group is encouraged to develop a voluntary confidentiality agreement to keep personal disclosures confidential. Child Matters supports this action but cannot enforce or police such voluntary agreements.

Copyright

Students should be aware of and adhere to the Copyright Act 1962. All material developed by Child Matters remains copyright to Child Matters and students wishing to reproduce this in any way must seek permission from the Student Services Team and give reasons for their requests in writing.

Disciplinary Policy & Procedure

Students who do not adhere to the Child Matters training course regulations will be given an initial verbal warning with an explanation that further infringements, followed by a written warning, could lead to their being withdrawn from the training. In cases of serious infringement a verbal and written warning may be given at the same time.

Any student who commits a statutory offence whilst on property where a training course is being held, or while attending a Child Matters training will be asked to withdraw. Fees will not be refunded when a student is asked to withdraw from a training course.

Drugs & Alcohol

Participants may not attend training courses while under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol and may not bring illegal drugs or alcohol on the premises where a course is being undertaken.

Smoking

Smoking is not permitted inside any building associated with Child Matters training.

Cancellation, Refund and Transfer Policy

Cancellation and Refund Policy

All cancellations must be received in writing.

A deposit is required with your enrolment form, with the balance of fees due at least 14 days prior to training start date. Any alternative payment schedule requires the approval of the Operations Manager.

Please refer to student information for the specific training programme to confirm the applicable cancellation fee.

Transferring to another Course

An administration fee of $25.00 may be charged, if transferring to another course.

Training course changes

Child Matters reserves the right to change training details, start dates or fees, without prior notice. Child Matters reserves the right to decline any student enrolment.

Appeals Policy

Should a student dispute the decision made by Child Matters in assessment results, they are able to formally appeal to Child Matters in the first instance. Should a student still not be satisfied of the outcome, they may appeal against assessment decisions, in writing to:

Careerforce, Freephone 0800 277 486, Phone 03 371 9295, Email info@careerforce.org.nz OR

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) PO Box 160 Wellington 6015

Complaints Policy

Objective

• To resolve complaints quickly, co-operatively and amicably at an early stage through discussion and conciliation;
  • To protect the right of complainants by acting promptly to remedy the complaint, where such is valid and substantiated;
  • To protect the rights of persons complained against by ensuring that complaints are properly investigated and decisions made only on the basis of sound evidence, proper evaluation, and by adhering to the principles of natural justice; and
  • To empower both parties to the conflict by treating their grievances seriously and professionally whether or not these can be resolved through the process of discussion and conciliation.

Informal Conciliation

Provision will be made for all complaints to be handled in an informal manner if so desired by the complainant. The complainant may arrange to meet with the tutor or staff member to resolve the conflict by discussion and conciliation. Any or all parties to this meeting may bring a support person of their choice. If conciliation fails, or if the complainant so chooses, the complainant may make a complaint in writing to Child Matters.

Written Complaints to Chief Executive

All written complaints should be made to the Chief Executive except where the complaint is against the Chief Executive, in which case it should be directed to the Chairperson of Child Matters’ Board of Trustees. Complainants should inform the other party of this action.

Receipt of all written complaints will be acknowledged in writing.

Written Complaints to the Board

If conflict remains unresolved through mediation the complainant should submit the written complaint to the Board of Trustees for investigation and consideration.

If this organisation’s internal complaints system is not effecitve in resolving this complaint, the student may forward the complaint to the New Zealand Qualfication’s Authority, PO Box 160, Wellington. Phone: 0800 724357 or email: helpdesk@nzqa.govt.nz

Complaint Against a Student

If the complaint is made against a student, and upheld by the Chief Executive, the Chief Executive may decide that:

• a verbal or written warning will be issued, or

• the student’s continued enrolment be subject to a suitable behavioural contract being negotiated or

• the student’s enrolment is terminated.

Complaint Against a Staff Member

If the complaint is made against a staff member, the Chief Executive is required to investigate the allegation.  If the complaint is upheld by the Chief Executive, the manager may decide that:

• more serious disciplinary action as appropriate will be taken.

Complainant to be Informed

Complainants of written complaints to the Board of Trustees will be informed in writing as to whether their complaint was upheld.

Course Specific Student Information

For student information specific to courses select the appropriate course.

New Zealand Diploma in Child Protection
Child Protection Studies Programme
Workshops