pexels photo 256468

Return to School Resource for Educators

Things to be aware of

  • Issues that may impact on children and tamariki
  • Children and tamariki suffering abuse at home
    • Families and whanau under financial or social stress
  • Relationship problems
    • Substance abuse
    • One-parent homes
    • Families and whanau who are isolated
    • Depression and mental health
    • Children and tamariki with disabilities
    • Significant increase of family and whanau violence

What you might see in children and tamariki

  • Changes in behaviour:
  • Aggression, defiance, sudden emotional outbursts
    • Withdrawn, stressed, anxious
    • Lack of focus
      • Tiredness
  • Lack of structure and routine
    • Online bullying
    • Regression
      • Behaviourial or academic
      • Children and tamariki who have been abused can regress up to 18 months
    • Habit disorders - self-soothing behaviours
  • Rocking, thumb sucking, biting, hair pulling
    • Eating disorders

Is it abuse or neglect?

Some changes in behaviour may mean a child and tamaiti is stressed, anxious or worried. However, if you have concerns it is important you do something about it.

If you don't know, CONSULT! If you think you know, CONSULT! If you do know, CONSULT!

Consult with your Principal or Oranga Tamariki 0508 326 459 (0800 FAMILY)

Tu maia, korero mai! Stand up, step out, speak up!

Things to be aware of professionally

  • The way we act to stressful situations
  • Professional dangerousness dynamics
  • What might create a barrier to intervening when concerned. Note: Further information about barriers will be posted shortly

Further information on Professional Dangerousness

What can help

Children and tamariki may disclose directly or indirectly about child abuse and it is important you know how to respond appropriately. Child Matters has developed resouces to assist with children and tamariki disclosure and when to report concerns.

What else can help

  • Self care
    • Consult with colleagues and supervisors
    • Access to an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) or similar