Home > About Us
About Child Matters
Child Matters is New Zealand’s only national charitable trust dedicated to the prevention of child abuse. Since 1994, we have been advocating for the rights of children and educating and inspiring New Zealanders to make sure that every child flourishes in a safe, stable and nurturing environment.
Child Matters works throughout New Zealand, educating, supporting and inspiring adults to protect children.We do this by:
- Raising understanding and awareness of the issue of child abuse.
- Providing knowledge, skills and confidence to those who are in a position to act to protect children
- Influencing a change in society’s attitudes toward child abuse and
- Engaging communities to make the wellbeing of children a priority
As a strong advocate for the rights of children, Child Matters promotes, encourages and supports prevention activities and efforts at both local and national level. Child Matters’ work includes:
- Establishing and delivering nationally recognised child protection training programmes to the children’s workforce
- Advising organisations and businesses on child protection and safe working practices
- Advocating for the rights of children by influencing changes in policies and legislation to make New Zealand a safer place for children
Why Child Matters?
A history of and reputation for excellence…..
Child Matters is widely recognised as thought leaders in child protection and advocacy, from training to policy development, from giving advice to advocating for the rights of children. The organisation is represented on key national committees and is actively involved in advocating for the rights of children at a Government level.Child Matters has won numerous industry awards including ‘Most Innovative Provider’ by Waikato Adult Education Association in 2000 and winner of the ‘Not-For-Profit’ category at the 2012 Waikato Business Excellence Awards.
Endorsement by regulatory bodies….
Child Matters consistently ranks in the top third of training establishments when audited by regulatory bodies. In its most recent NZQA external evaluation and review (EER) audit, Child Matters received the highest possible evaluation, one of only 27% of Private Training Establishments (PTEs) to receive this level of audit confidence.The effectiveness of Child Matters’ Certificate in Child Protection (Programme) was independently reviewed in 2000 and in 2007, and findings confirmed the value of Child Matters’ practices with 100% of students saying they would recommend the training.
Child Matters is a non-government organisation, registered with the Charities Commission*. We operate from a national office in Hamilton.
* Registration of our Charitable Trust and also registration with the Charities Commission is under our legal name of "Institute for Child Protection Studies".
[ ^ Back to top ]