New Zealand Child Abuse Statistics
On average, 1 child dies every 5 weeks in New Zealand.
Between 1 January 2019 and 30 November 2019, 11 children and young people have died as a result of homicide in New Zealand.
The Homicide Report
Released 13 May 2019
- Every 8th homicide victim in New Zealand from 2004 to 31 March 2019 was a child
- More than two thirds of the victims were aged 2 or under
- Of the cases where the killer's relationship to the victim was known, 27% were mothers, 24% were fathers, and 17% were de facto partners.
Released 15 June 2017
- New Zealand has the highest rate of teen suicide in the OECD
- New Zealand has the 6th highest teen pregnancy rate in the OECD
- New Zealand has the 7th highest rate of child homicide in the OECD.